That’s right, it’s time to dust off your lawmowers!
Like it or loath it, it’s that time of year once again to dust off your lawnmower! Do you see yourself mowing your lawn on a beautiful spring day enjoying the fresh air and smell of freshly cut grass? Or is it that job at the end of a hard working day that you could really do without? Whichever it is, the grass cutting season is back again this year like clockwork and there is nothing we can do about it.
Basic Petrol Lawnmower Maintenance
Before the grass cutting season starts it’s best to make sure your lawnmower is in good order. Providing you have a good solid mower with no major issues it should be fairly easy.
- Clean your lawnmower thoroughly with some warm soapy water. Try to avoid getting water on the engine as it could damage it. Focus on cleaning the shell and body of the lawnmower especially underneath where previous grass may have built up. Don’t cut yourself on the blade!
- Remove and check the spark plug. If there is a lot of black residue on the spark plug it may need a new one. Also if your having trouble getting the lawnmower started, it could be an indication of a worn spark plug. Refer to the operator manual for the correct spark plug.
- Remove and check the air filter. If the air filter is made of foam it can be cleaning with some warm soapy water and left to dry. If it’s a paper air filter it is best replaced if covered in oil. If the paper filter is just clogged with bits and debris, this can be blown out with pressurised air.
- Check the cutting blade. If the cutting blade is blunt it can be sharpened. If the blade has been sharpened a number of times already or the blade has twisted or cracked, it must be replaced! Do not attempt to sharpen or remove the blade yourself, you might cut yourself! If the blade needs sharpening or replacing take your mower to a specialist lawnmower dealer. When a blade needs sharpening it also needs to be balanced on a special machine. It costs us at little as £8 to get a blade sharpened and balanced. If your lawnmower blade needs replacing your local dealer will usually stock blades for many different makes and models.
- Make sure all the nuts and blots around the mower are fastened tight.
- Clean your lawnmower grass bag. This can be done with a jet washer or good old elbow grease. If you haven’t got a jet washer, get some warm soapy water and start scrubbing!
Dig Out Your Lawnmower From Your Garage
Do you really want to dig out your lawnmower from your junk filled garage? Then don’t! If you live in the Leicestershire area, we can help. It’s our job to service and maintain our own lawnmowers! We even cut your lawn, so you don’t have to. We are Leicester Gardening Services Limited. We have been providing our services in Leicester since the dawn of time, well it feels like it anyway. We also cut many acres of grass for our Leicester Grounds Maintenance customers. So come on, give in, and let your gardener win!